Volunteer in the Library
The Tanglewood Library needs your help! If you would like to be added to the list of volunteers for the library for the 2019-20 school year, please contact Holly Melton.
2019-20 Library Schedule
The following information pertains to the 2018-19 school year. This will be updated for the 2019-20 school year soon.
Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List for 2018-19
The Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List is considered one of the most prestigious children’s literature lists in the country. Every year, over 100,000 children in grades 3-6 vote on their favorite book from a list of 20 titles curated by librarians around the state serving on Texas Library Association’s TBA Committee.
Students in grades 3 through 6 across the State of Texas will vote for their favorite Texas Bluebonnet Award nominated book in January. To be eligible to vote, each student voter must have read at least 5 of the nominated books.
Great Books for 3rd-5th Graders
- Bravo! Poems About Amazing Hispanics by Margarita Engle, illustrated by Rafael López (Godwin Books/Henry Holt, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group)
- Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and June Jo Lee, illustrated by Man One (Readers to Eaters)
- Grand Canyon by Jason Chin (Neal Porter Books/Roaring Brook Press, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group)
- Grandpa’s Hal-La-Loo-Ya Hambone by Joe Hayes, illustrated by Antonio Castro L. (Cinco Puntos Press)
- The Harlem Charade by Natasha Tarpley (Scholastic Press)
- How to Avoid Extinction by Paul Acampora (Scholastic Press)
- Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing by Kay A. Haring, illustrated by Robert Neubecker (Dial Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group)
- Me and Marvin Gardens by Amy Sarig King (Arthur A. Levine Books, an imprint of Scholastic Press)
- Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero by Patricia McCormick, illustrated by Iacopo Bruno (Balzer & Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
- Stef Soto, Taco Queen by Jennifer Torres (Little, Brown and Company)
- Step Right Up: How Doc and Jim Key Taught the World About Kindness by Donna Bowman, illustrated by Daniel Minter (Lee and Low Books)
- The Unlucky Lottery Winners of Classroom 13 by Honest Lee and Matthew J. Gilbert, illustrated by Joelle Dreidemy (Little, Brown and Company)
- Wedgie & Gizmo by Suzanne Selfors, illustrated by Barbara Fisinger (Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
Great Books for 4th-5th Graders
- Amina’s Voice by Hena Khan (Salaam Reads, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)
- The Bicycle Spy by Yona Zeldis McDonough (Scholastic Press)
- Garvey’s Choice by Nikki Grimes (Wordsong, an imprint of Highlights Press)